Thursday, July 7, 2011

Growlithe, the Puppy Pokemon

This fiery little guy will melt your heart, as well as your face. It comes out of the egg with these moves;

Sunny Day
Flare Blitz
Morning Sun
Roar

Sunny Day is the key to this build. It makes Morning Sun heal you for 66% instead of 50%, it powers up Flare Blitz by 50%, and makes Solarbeam(a move it learns via TM as an Arcanine) a one-turn move rather than having to charge before use. On that note, I want to point out how great pure Fire type pokemon are. They are only weak against Water, Rock, and Ground, and those 3 types are all weak against Grass, and nearly all Fire pokemon can learn Solarbeam. Just worth noting.

Anyway, here's the breeding process;

1) Breed a male Espeon(must have Morning Sun) with a female Growlithe.
2) Continue breeding until you get a male Growlithe, then raise that Growlithe to lv 56 to teach it Flare Blitz.
3) Teach that Growlithe Sunny Day through the TM.
4) Breed that male Growlithe with a female Growlithe.
5) The result will be a lv 1 Growlithe with the above moveset. Try for a neutral nature. Either ability is acceptable, I perfer Intimidate, but Flash Fire has its benefits as well.
*A Smeargle knowing those 3 attacks can work just as well.

Now evolve that little guy with a Fire Stone, and he'll be an Arcanine. Teach him Solarbeam with a TM.

You're probably concerned about the recoil that Flare Blitz has. I understand, recoils suck. But you have to see the benefits. This is a physical Fire attack. Arcanine's Attack is better than its Sp. Attack. Flare Blitz is physical, has top accuracy, and 120 Power. Throw in the same-type advantage bonus(STAB) and the benefit of Sunny Day, Flare Blitz's power becomes 270, even more if you give it a Charcoal as its Hold Item. And Morning Sun will undo any recoil damage you need.

As I always am, your ideas are welcome.

Brock Out.

4 comments:

  1. While randomly looking on the Internet for guidance, I found your page. This is one of two Arcanine moveset configurations I am toying with, the other simply replacing Solar Beam with Extreme Speed. Because these two are my favorite movesets for Arcanine, and you obviously share similar interests, please, tell me why you chose Solar Beam over Extreme Speed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since I've started this blog, I've learned more, gotten smarter. A few of the older builds I've lost a bit of faith in. But this Arcanine is not one of them. I prefer Solarbeam over Extreme Speed for a few reasons:

      1) Coverage: Grass beats more types than Normal does, and in this case, they happen to be his weaknesses that they beat.

      2) Power: Solarbeam is 100 base power, Extreme Speed is 80.

      3) Offense Stats: Flare Blitz is a physical move, and since Arcanine has good all around stats, I wanted to have a physical and a special attack for additional coverage, so I went for the physical Fire attack(Flare Blitz), and a special Grass attack(Solarbeam).

      That's my reasoning behind it. I also felt that in combination with Intimidate, Arcanine's defensive stats, and his Speed stat, priority wouldn't be too terribly much of an issue for him. My Arcanine has a Hardy Nature(neutral), a max Defense IV, and an EV spread that was evenly spread out. Just so you know.

      However, I understand if you would want to use Extreme Speed and go for a more master-of-one approach rather than my coverage but master-of-none approach. Neglect his Special Attack stat in the EV Training, get a Sp. Attack Reducing Nature, maybe even neglect the Speed stat, and have Sunny Day/Morning Sun/Flare Blitz/Extreme Speed.

      Does that satisfy your question? And have I convinced you to go with Solarbeam, or does Extreme Speed sound more appealing to you?

      Delete
  2. Yes, it does. I have him teamed up with a Meganium (I have a soft spot for Grass starters) who knows Sunny Day and Solar Beam, so I decided to stick with the Extreme Speed (even though it is a bit redundant on Arcanine, and even though replacing Extreme Speed with Solar Beam would basically be the "perfect Arcanine." I really respect the Solar Beam Morning Glory Arcanine. Add that coverage in with his type, appearance, and enigma, and you truly have a beautiful Pokemon : ))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah double battle strategy does change things indeed. Meganium's a nice tanky wall from what I've seen, how's you're Meganium set up? And since you have it knowing Sunny Day, did you teach your Arcanine something else or do they both know it?

    Grass starters are good generally, but I cannot work a Serperior. Not enough coverage for my tastes (though in Black 2/White 2 it can learn Aqua Tail which helps, but I'm still on Black).

    ReplyDelete